Pilates and Pregnancy
"Pilates gives you such great body awareness. When I got pregnant, I really got into Pilates because I wanted to fix all my asymmetries...I have a new body because of it."
Kerri Walsh, 3 time Gold Medalist in Beach Volleyball
Exercise may be the last thing on your mind when you are pregnant, especially if you are hit with the double-whammy of tiredness and nausea in your first trimester. But exercise is an important part of a comfortable and healthy pregnancy. Pilates done right can help you sail through your nine months feeling more mobile and comfortable and help you bounce back sooner after giving birth.
After the baby has been safely delivered, your body will be rapidly readjusting itself. A gentle exercise program that can be built up gradually is a must to help your body confront your new challenges. Postnatal Pilates is an excellent choice. Pilates strengthens and tones weak muscles. Pilates also tackles postural issues which may have developed during pregnancy and prepares you for the constant lifting and carrying of a newborn.
Mary is proud to introduce her Prenatal and Postnatal Pilates Programs. These programs are specifically designed to help the mother-to-be prepare her body to give birth and help new mothers regain similar fitness levels that they experienced before pregnancy. Mary obtained her certification as a Prenatal and Postnatal Specialist™ from program founder Carolyne Anthony.
Benefits of Pilates during Pregnancy
- Increases body awareness and focus that help with labor and delivery
- Promotes balance and spatial orientation
- Improves control and strength of pelvic floor region
- Develops flexibility and muscular endurance
- Relieves lower-back discomfort and other pregnancy-induced aches and pains
- Helps with breathing techniques that can be employed effectively during labor
- Speeds up recovery after birth
Benefits of Pilates after Pregnancy
- Helps rehabilitate pelvic floor, abdominal and spinal muscles
- Provides an avenue for body to regain strength
- Retrains muscles to recover from changes experienced during pregnancy
- Prepares the body for aerobic or more high impact exercise
- Helps with rectus diastasis (abdominal separation) recovery
- Relieves stresses that accompany the demands of motherhood
Mary’s Prenatal Pilates Program
Unlike other types of exercise, you can start Pilates at any stage of your pregnancy. It is never too late to learn. Mary’s Prenatal Pilates program provides your body with deep overall conditioning as it elongates and aligns your body. It also helps strengthen your body for a smoother delivery. With over 500 traditional exercises and many modifications or alternate movements, Mary can design a safe, challenging workout that is appropriate for your ever-changing body.
Mary’s Postnatal Pilates Program
Mary teaches a postnatal Pilates program designed specifically for your unique postpartum body. The Postnatal Pilates program takes you through a series of exercises that close and strengthen the abdominals, realign the spine and rehabilitate the pelvic floor. You will be stronger, improve your posture and feel more energized. Stronger abdominals help relieve back pain and correct postural issues that may have developed during pregnancy. Mary’s program also helps strengthen your arms and back so you are better equipped to carry your new baby and all the gear that comes along like diaper bags and car seats. Finally Mary will help correct postpartum imbalances and get you back to your pre-pregnancy fitness level.
- Bange Pilates
- Pilates and You
- Specialized Programs
- Cancer Survivors